There are few dishes that rival a toothsome bowl of pasta in the realm of comfort foods. Our boys are pasta kings, and it has been awhile since we’ve served up Fettuccine Alfredo, so we thought it was time to bring it back. Rather than stop at the basic butter and Parmesan concoction, we went all out with this version. The result is a creamy, cheesy, delish Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo. (Go meatless by simply ignoring the chicken.)
For this delectable Cheesy Fettuccine Alfredo, we added in chunks of savory chicken for protein. Plenty of garlic because we are garlic fiends. The creaminess is amped up with sharp white cheddar cheese. The inclusion of broccoli florets give color, nutrition, and texture.
This creamy, cheesy Fettuccine Alfredo is easy enough for a weeknight meal and delicious enough for a weekend dinner with a glass of your favorite wine. A heaping plate of this Fettuccine Alfredo is comfort food at its best. Be forewarned that it is incredibly easy to inhale a super sized serving of this yummy pasta.
Just be sure to give this Fettuccine Alfredo sauce a good cooking and stirring, to ensure the smoothest and creamiest sauce possible. Use only fresh cheeses that you grate yourself, for results that are worthwhile. Extra sauce can be kept for leftovers, which is always a welcome thing around our kitchen.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
- 2 TB olive oil
- 4 TB salted butter
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tsp onion powder, divided
- 1 lb fettuccine pasta
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 5-6 oz Parmesan cheese wedge, grated (1 cup grated, packed)
- 8 oz sharp white cheddar cheese wedge, freshly grated
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- ½ cup sour cream
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- Dry cubes of chicken with paper towels. Add half of the minced garlic, salt, pepper, and 1 tsp onion powder into the chicken, and mix well.
- In a heavy large skillet, heat olive oil about 30 seconds, and add seasoned chicken. Saute until chicken is almost cooked through. Add broccoli florets to the chicken and continue cooking until chicken and broccoli are fully cooked. Set aside.
- Bring large heavy pot of well-salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook just until al dente, according to package instructions. Do not cook beyond al dente. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Saute the butter in now empty pot. Add remaining garlic and cook about 1 minute. Stir in flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Carefully add the milk, half and half, and remaining onion powder. Continue to stir constantly until sauce is smooth and creamy, on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. Take your time, to ensure the sauce is not grainy. Sauce should become thickened and smooth.
- Stir in Parmesan and white cheddar cheeses, continuing to stir until cheeses are melted. Add any additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in sour cream and chicken/broccoli mixture to the sauce, combining well.
- Toss cooked pasta with sauce, and serve immediately.
Source: Chew Out Loud
Here are a few more of our favorite pasta comfort foods:
Forever Yummy Super Creamy Mac ‘n Cheese is rich, creamy, and keeps well:
This Pasta Bolognese is a fabulous weekend dinner:
How about a healthy, creamy Avocado Pasta?