For some reason, the word fajitas conjures up images of glorious summer in my head. Totally weird, since fajitas are typically sizzled up on an indoor pan rather than grilled outdoors.
Maybe it’s the sizzling thing. Or the bold, zesty flavors. Or the vividly bright colors. Whatever the reason, I’ll take any meal that resembles summer just about now.
Especially if it’s a healthy one-pan meal I can dish up any ‘ol Tuesday night…
This One-Pan Chicken Fajita Pasta is quickly and easily tossed together. It’s healthy, clean, and lively with flavor.
If you use a mini chopper, it makes veggie chopping super fast. Grocery stores often sell pre-chopped bell peppers and onions, which can be a weeknight dinner lifesaver.
The chicken is generously seasoned with fajita seasoning; feel free to go with homemade or store bought. [BTW, if you decide to make a batch of your own fajita seasoning, it’ll keep well in an airtight jar for instant use whenever you want.]
Tender chicken gets browned to golden perfection. The veggies get a happy stir in the same pan. Even the pasta gets cooked to al dente deliciousness, all in that very popular pan.
Needless to say, this one’s a home run in our house.
Here’s to Tuesday nights at the dinner table.
20-Minute, One-Pan Chicken Fajita Pasta
You can have a healthy, delicious, and fast meal with this 20-Minute, One-Pan Chicken Fajita Pasta. It’s a scrumptious skillet meal that’s made for busy weeknights!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 18 mins
- Total Time: 28 mins
Yield: 4-5 1x
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, towel dried, and cut into bite-size portions
- 3 TB fajita seasoning (homemade or store bought packet), divided in half
- 4 TB olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion (yellow or red) diced
- 2 bell peppers (any colors) seeded and diced
- 5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 oz) fire-roasted tomatoes with juices
- 8 oz dry penne pasta
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large heavy pan (I use my nonstick) heat 2 TB oil over high heat until oil is hot. Add chicken and half the seasoning, tossing to coat well. Spread chicken in a single layer and let cook undisturbed for about 1 min, or until browned on bottom side. Flip chicken over and repeat until both sides are browned. Remove chicken to a large bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 TB oil to the pan over high heat. Once oil is hot, add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic, along with remaining half of seasoning. Stir well to coat; stir often and cook until veggies are tender, 2 min. Add veggies to the bowl of cooked chicken.
- Add broth, tomatoes with all its juices, and dry pasta to the same pan. Bring liquid to a boil and immediately reduce to a low boil. Cover and let cook for 15 min. until pasta is al dente. Liquid should be mostly absorbed. When pasta is cooked, add chicken and veggies back to the same pan. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste. Stir to combine and heat through.
1. To make it super quick, you can use pre-diced or sliced onions and bells from the grocery store.
2. Dehydrated minced garlic can be used to save time.
3. If you prefer a kick, use a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes with green chilies in lieu of the fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Category: dinner
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Source: Chew Out Loud
Awesome One-Pan Meals:
- 20-Minute, One-Pan Gnocchi with Sausage and Spinach. Nobody believes this pillowy, savory, irresistible gnocchi dish is done in under 30 minutes.
2. One-Pan Skillet Lasagna. All the flavor, none of the fuss.
3. One-Pan Butternut Squash Penne. So hearty yet light, healthy yet satisfying.
4. One-Pot Enchilada Rice Casserole. Big, bold flavors for any busy weeknight.