You can have a healthy, delicious, and fast meal with this 20-Minute, One-Pan Chicken Fajita Pasta. It’s a scrumptious skillet meal that’s made for busy weeknights!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, towel dried, and cut into bite-size portions
- 3 TB fajita seasoning (homemade or store bought packet), divided in half
- 4 TB olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion (yellow or red) diced
- 2 bell peppers (any colors) seeded and diced
- 5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 oz) fire-roasted tomatoes with juices
- 8 oz dry penne pasta
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large heavy pan (I use my nonstick) heat 2 TB oil over high heat until oil is hot. Add chicken and half the seasoning, tossing to coat well. Spread chicken in a single layer and let cook undisturbed for about 1 min, or until browned on bottom side. Flip chicken over and repeat until both sides are browned. Remove chicken to a large bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 TB oil to the pan over high heat. Once oil is hot, add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic, along with remaining half of seasoning. Stir well to coat; stir often and cook until veggies are tender, 2 min. Add veggies to the bowl of cooked chicken.
- Add broth, tomatoes with all its juices, and dry pasta to the same pan. Bring liquid to a boil and immediately reduce to a low boil. Cover and let cook for 15 min. until pasta is al dente. Liquid should be mostly absorbed. When pasta is cooked, add chicken and veggies back to the same pan. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste. Stir to combine and heat through.
1. To make it super quick, you can use pre-diced or sliced onions and bells from the grocery store.
2. Dehydrated minced garlic can be used to save time.
3. If you prefer a kick, use a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes with green chilies in lieu of the fire-roasted tomatoes.