In mere minutes, you’ll be dishing up unbelievable flavor with this 20-Minute Skillet Lo Mein. Keep it vegetarian or pair it with your favorite protein.
For the Sauce:
- 4 TB less-sodium, good quality soy sauce
- 1 TB mirin
- 1 TB granulated sugar
- 1 TB pure Asian sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the Lo Mein:
- 8 oz fresh Asian style noodles (or spaghetti/linguine, if you can’t find the fresh noodles)
- 2 TB pure Asian sesame oil
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick carrots (pre-cut from store)
- 1 1/2 cups bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- Optional Garnishes: thinly sliced green onions, toasted sesame seeds, sriracha
- Boil: Fill pot with generously salted water, and cook your choice of noodles according to package instructions to al dente (be sure not to over-cook.) Drain well and toss with 2 TB Asian sesame oil; set aside.
- Sauce: While noodles are cooking, prepare the rest of the dish: In a bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients. Set sauce aside. Heat 2 TB olive oil in a large, deep skillet (you can use a wok, but it’s not necessary.) Once oil is hot, add onions and garlic, stirring 2 minutes until fragrant. Add carrots and bell peppers, stirring 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Toss: Add the cooked/drained noodles into the skillet. Pour your prepared sauce evenly over the noodles, tossing gently to coat all ingredients thoroughly. Serve warm, with your choice of garnish.
Mirin is a sweet, rice-based seasoning that can be found in the Asian section of many major grocery stores. Note that mirin is not the same thing as rice wine or rice vinegar.
Pure Asian sesame oil is much more rich, dark, and aromatic than regular sesame oil. It can often be found in major grocery stores.
Variations: switch up the veggies with fresh bean sprouts, broccoli florets, sliced mushrooms, or thinly sliced napa cabbage. Or, add sauté shrimp, cooked/shredded chicken, or diced ham for protein.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Category: dinner, Asian, main
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Lo mein, Homemade Lo Mein, Easy Lo Mein