Just 30 minutes and one skillet is all you’ll need to get this delish Tuscan Tortellini on the table. Everything, including the tortellini, gets cooked up in one big pan. Busy weeknights, here we come.
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 LB bulk Italian sausage (no casings)
- 2 cups tomato-based pasta sauce
- 1 (14oz) can Italian diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 19 oz frozen cheese tortellini
- 3 cups baby spinach, torn to bite size
- freshly ground black pepper
- freshly shaved/shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a very large skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion, stir constantly 30 seconds. Add garlic and stir another 2 minutes or until aromatic and tender.
- Push onion mixture to the edges of pan and add sausage into the center of pan. Cook and break up sausage; once it’s half-cooked, stir together with the onion mixture and continue cooking until browned.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with juices, broth, and half/half. Stir and bring to a simmer. Add frozen tortellini, stirring to submerge tortellini in the sauce. Cover and simmer until tender, about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Gently stir in spinach and just until wilted. Add 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper or to taste. Serve immediately with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese.
See original article for ingredient substitutions and variations.
If you’d like to use fresh cheese tortellini, lessen cook time so tortellini does not overcook.
If you prefer sauce more creamy, add a bit more half & half. Add more broth if sauce becomes too thick (may be the case with leftovers or if dish has been sitting around too long.)
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Category: main dish, dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: easy tortellini recipe, cheese tortellini