Just 20 minutes and one skillet is all you’ll need to get this delish Tuscan Tortellini on the table. Everything, including the tortellini, gets cooked up in one big pan. Busy weeknights, here we come.
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage (no casings)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato-based pasta sauce
- 1 (14oz) can Italian diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 19 oz frozen cheese tortellini
- 3 cups baby spinach, torn to bite size
- freshly ground black pepper
- freshly shaved/shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a very large skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Stir constantly until fragrant, 30 seconds. Push mixture to the edges of pan and add sausage into the center of pan. Cook and break up sausage; once it’s half-cooked, stir together with the vegetable mixture and continue cooking until browned.
- Add pasta sauce, tomatoes with juices, chicken or veggie broth, and half/half. Stir and bring to a simmer. Add frozen tortellini, stirring to submerge tortellini in the sauce. Cover and simmer until tender, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat. Add spinach and stir just until wilted. Add 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (or to taste.) Serve immediately with freshly shaved/shredded Parmesan cheese.
If you’d like to use fresh cheese tortellini, adjust cook time so your tortellini does not overcook.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating – thank you! 🙂
Keywords: easy tortellini recipe, cheese tortellini