This Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry is tender, flavorful, and healthy. This family favorite is perfect for busy weeknights.
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup regular strength beef broth
- 3 TB Tamari soy sauce
- 3 TB Japanese rice wine (mirin)
- 3 TB Asian seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 TB oyster sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground ginger
For the Stir Fry:
- 5 TB olive oil, divided
- 6 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 – 1.5 lb sirloin steak, sliced across the grain into very thin, bite-sized pieces
- Optional: 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Make the Sauce: In a bowl, combine all Sauce ingredients. Use hand whisk to be sure cornstarch is fully dissolved into the sauce mixture (any bit of undissolved cornstarch will cause gummy lumps in dish.) Set sauce aside.
- Make Stir Fry: In a large, deep pan, add 3 TB olive oil over medium-high heat until oil is hot. Add garlic and onion, stirring 2 minutes until fragrant and translucent.
- Add broccoli florets, cooking about 2 minutes or just until just tender. (Note: If you prefer a bit of char, let florets brown and flip only occasionally, without stirring too much.) Transfer vegetable mixture into a dish and set aside.
- Add 2 TB olive oil into the now-empty pan, over medium high heat. Meanwhile, pat-dry all pieces of sliced sirloin steak to remove any excess moisture. Once oil is hot, add beef in a single layer in to the pan. Let beef brown, uninterrupted, for 3 minutes for bottom to brown. Once bottom of beef slices are browned, give it a good stir.
- Add back the cooked broccoli/garlic mixture and the sauce you prepared. Stir to incorporate well and continue to cook for another minute. Taste and add red pepper flakes, if desired. Remove from heat and serve with fluffy rice or noodles.
Tamari soy sauce, mirin, seasoned rice vinegar, and oyster sauce are usually found in the Asian aisles of most major grocery stores these days. You can use low-sodium soy sauce instead of Tamari, but note that Tamari typically has a much purer and cleaner flavor due to containing no fillers.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Category: Main
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry, Broccoli Beef