This 30 Minute Healthy Taco Casserole is made healthier with the use of brown rice and fat-free beans. It comes together easily and quickly, and tastes absolutely delish! So indulgent tasting, nobody will realize it’s on the healthy side.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (or white rice)
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1.25 oz (2 1/2 TB) taco seasoning (I use this easy homemade one.)
- 1 (15 oz) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 1/2 cup low-fat sharp cheddar or cheddar jack cheese
- 1 cup your favorite salsa
- 1 (2 1/3 oz) can sliced black olives, drained
- 2/3 cups corn chips (optional)
- Garnishes: chopped green onions, diced avocado, or diced tomato.
- In a large nonstick skillet, add ground beef, taco seasoning, and 3 TB water. Stir together to incorporate. Brown until cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In an 8×8 baking dish, layer cooked rice on the bottom of dish. In a microwavable bowl, combine refried beans and salsa. Microwave until hot, about 2 minutes. Stir and layer mixture over the rice.
- Layer browned beef mixture over the beans/salsa. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the beef, followed by all the chips (if using) and top with remaining cheese and black olives. Bake 10 minutes at 350F or just until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with green onions, avocados, or tomatoes. Serve warm.
- Note: This dish can be lightened up even more by using just 1 cup of low-fat cheese and omitting the corn chips.
- Category: dinner, main