This Spaghetti with Garlic and Olive Oil is known as Aglio e Olio, and is a classic yet simple dish made with just a handful of fresh quality ingredients. Be sure to use fresh garlic, herbs, and grate your own Parmesan. Perfect as a side dish or add in your favorite veggies/protein.
- 4 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 3 TB salted butter
- 12 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb dried spaghetti noodles
- 3 TB fresh parsley or basil, minced
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a large heavy pot, bring well salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet over low heat, stir together the olive oil, butter, garlic, and 1/2 tsp salt, stirring and cooking until aromatic, about 5 min.
- Once water is boiling, add spaghetti and cook, stirring often, just until al dente according to package instructions. Don’t overcook. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water and drain the spaghetti.
- Return spaghetti to the pot. Stir in parsley or basil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, sauteed garlic in all its oil, and some of the pasta water (enough to reach desired consistency.) Add kosher salt and pepper to taste. Stir in 1/2 cup of the parmesan and toss to coat. Sprinkle the rest of the parmesan onto individually plated pasta.
- Category: main, pasta, side