These easy Pecan Sandies are melt-in-your-mouth shortbread cookies that are bursting with the aroma of real butter and roasted pecans. We keep these pecan cookies deliciously simple with only 4 ingredients.
- 1 cup salted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
- 1/2 tightly cup packed light brown sugar (be sure it’s fresh)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (you may not end up using all of it)
- 1/2 cup roasted pecans, finely chopped, plus extra for topping
- Optional: powdered sugar for dusting
- Mix: In the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and brown sugar. Using paddle attachment on medium-high speed, mix until fluffy and light, several minutes. Scrape down sides as needed. Add only 1 1/2 cups of the flour and mix on medium-low speed until combined, scraping down sides as needed.
- Knead: On a large board, sprinkle 1/3 cup flour to keep dough from sticking to the board. Use rubber spatula to transfer dough to the board. Knead dough by hand for 2 minutes, adding only as much of the remaining flour as needed to make a soft pliable dough. The dough should end up soft and workable, similar to play-dough. If it’s too sticky, add in one tablespoon of flour at a time just until dough is the right consistency. Do not add so much flour that dough becomes dry (note: you may not end up using all the flour.) Work in pecans.
- Roll into logs: Divide dough in half and gently roll into logs that are 1 1/2″ diameter. Tip: moisten palms with a bit of water or oil to prevent dough from sticking to palms. If your dough has become too warm, chill dough a few minutes to firm up just enough to allow you to roll it.
- Chill dough: Wrap logs airtight and chill 30 minutes or until firm enough to slice easily. Preheat oven to 325F with rack on lower middle position. Line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Slice: Remove one dough log from fridge and slice into 1/2″ thick rounds. Place each cookie 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Place extra chopped pecans on top of cookies, if desired. Bake 12 minutes, or until bottom edges are golden brown. The tops of cookies should remain pale; do no over-bake. Let cookies cool a couple of minutes on baking sheet, before transferring to wire rack to finish cooling. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Repeat: Repeat with the remaining dough log (if dough becomes too firm, let rest at room temp a few minutes to soften just enough to slice.) Cookies keep very when sealed airtight, at room temp.
These make approximately 30 smaller cookies; they’ll bake up to be about 2-inches diameter. When shortbread cookies are too large, they can break apart easier. To prevent that, we keep them on the smaller side. Perfect bite-sized treats!
Dough logs can be wrapped airtight and frozen for several weeks. Defrost in fridge and slice to bake. Baked cookies can also be wrapped airtight and frozen 1-2 weeks.
If you enjoyed these cookies, please come back and give them a rating. 🙂
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pecan sandies, pecan shortbread cookies