These Air Fryer French Fries are fresh, crispy, and healthy. Here are the secrets for making extra crispy, flavorful French fries using only 3 basic ingredients.
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 teaspoon table salt (fine salt)
Optional Seasonings: 1/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Old Bay, or ranch seasoning
- Wash and dry potatoes. Using a sharp knife or a mandolin, slice potatoes into strips of even thickness (thinner fries will turn out crisper than thicker ones.) Immediately place sliced potatoes into a bowl of cool water so that they’re fully submerged, about 60 minutes to overnight.
- Drain and rinse potatoes well. Using paper towels or clean absorbent cloths, pat-dry all excess moisture from potatoes.
- In a bowl, gently toss potatoes with olive oil and salt. Add pepper and any other seasonings, if desired.
- Working in batches, place fries in a single/even layer on rack of air fryer. Be sure fries are not overlapping. Cook 15-20 minutes or just until golden and crisp (cook time depends on thickness of fries.) While fries are cooking, set your oven to warm setting if you won’t be serving the first batch immediately.
- If not serving first batch right away, place them on a baking sheet in warm oven; repeat cooking the remaining fries. As always, fries are best served immediately after cooking.
You can use peeled or unpeeled potatoes; either is fine.
Fully submerging sliced potatoes in water removes excess starch, which helps browning and crisping. It’s important to pat dry all excess liquid after draining and rinsing.
There may be variation in cook time depending on air fryer models. Watch carefully so your fries don’t burn.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Category: Side
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Air Fryer French Fries, Homemade French Fries