This Baked Blueberry Oatmeal is gluten-free, loaded with nutrients, and fully satisfying. It’s a deliciously healthy way to start off the day. Bonus: it’s super easy and can be made the night before.
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 2 TB applesauce
- 1 TB pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Optional: 1/2 cup toasted, chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375F with rack on middle position. Grease inside of an 8×8 baking pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the oats, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, maple syrup, egg, applesauce, and vanilla extract until well combined. Gently stir the oat mixture with the milk mixture until incorporated. Pour into greased baking pan. Scatter the berries evenly over the top, along with pecans (if using.)
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until top is golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean (I bake mine for 38 minutes, but each oven is different.) Let cool at room temp for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temp, with additional maple syrup, if desired.
If you bake this up the night before, cover and let cool at room temp overnight. Reheat in oven or toaster oven the next morning.
This recipe as written results in a tender, deliciously moist baked oatmeal that cuts easily into squares. If you prefer a drier, crispier, crumbly texture, use 1/2 cup less milk.