This Banana Ricotta Chocolate Bread is not your typical banana bread. It’s superbly moist, dense, and made with the chocolate lover in mind. The ricotta provides moistness, while flax boosts the nutrition. Slice cooled bread gently, as bread will be very tender.
- 1/2 cup softened butter (room temp)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp dry flax meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1 1/4 cup over-ripe, mashed bananas
- 3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate morsels (minis melt into the bread better)
- Preheat oven to 350F with rack on lower middle position. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan and set aside.
- In large bowl of stand mixer, mix the softened butter and sugar until fluffy and light, several minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix to incorporate. Add the ricotta and mashed bananas, mixing until well combined.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, flax, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add butter/egg mixture to the dry ingredients, using a rubber spatula to fold gently just until most of the mixture is combined. A few small streaks of flour remaining is ideal. Gently fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly into greased loaf pan. Bake about 65-70 minutes, or until toothpick comes out almost clean. Cool loaf in pan 20 minutes, run a thin knife around edges, and transfer to wire rack to finish cooling. Cool completely before slicing.
- *Makes either 1 large loaf or 2 smaller loaves. If doing 2 smaller loaves, lessen bake time.