This beautiful salad is impressive, easy, and an awesome way to eat cleanly! Absolutely delicious! Be sure to plan ahead for roasting time of beets; can be done 1 day ahead.
- 3 large fresh red beets, about 2 lbs without greens
- 2 sweet yellow peppers
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 TB fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz crumbled blue cheese (Gorgonzola or Roquefort work well)
- 1/3 cup salted pistachios without shells, roughly chopped
- To roast beets, preheat oven to 425F. Separately wrap each beet tightly in heavy foil. Place on baking pan and roast in middle of oven until beets are tender, approx. 1.5 hours. Let cool a bit, unwrap beets, and let cool completely. When cool, slip skins off and dice the beets. Set aside.
- To roast peppers, place clean peppers directly on medium-high flame of stovetop. Using tongs, turn peppers over as each side gets cooked (skin will be charred.) Once entire pepper is charred on the skins, remove from flame and let cool. Once cool, use fingers to slip skins off peppers under cold running water. Seed and dice roasted peppers. Set aside.
- Whisk together shallt, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil for the dressing.
- In separate plates, evenly distribute the diced beets and peppers. Pour dressing evenly over each plate of beets and peppers. Top each place with crumbled blue cheese, followed by chopped pistachios. Serve immediately.
- Note: Beets and peppers can be roasted and diced the day before. Keep chilled and bring back to room temp when ready to serve. Dressing can also be made the day before and kept chilled; whisk before using.
- Category: salad