This Mexican Rice is super easy, flavorful, tender, and fluffy all at the same time. Only a few ingredients and 25 minutes of cooking time is all it takes. No peeking while the rice cooks. Perfect accompaniment to all your favorite Mexican dishes.
- 3 TB olive or canola oil
- half of an onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup chunky salsa (spice level is up to you)
- 2 cups regular chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- fresh slices of lime for garnish
- In a large pan (or pot) heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, stirring and cooking until tender but not burnt. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in salsa and mix well. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until liquid has been fully absorbed. Do not lift cover. Turn heat off and let rice rest, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, fluff with fork, and add salt/pepper to taste. Serve with cilantro and lime.