This Angel Food Cake is indeed divinely delicious. It is 200% better than any store-bought version, and easy to make at home. You will need a 2-piece angel food cake pan for best results. I bought my pan specifically for this cake, and I’ll be using it again and again.
- 1 cup cake flour (no other flour substitutions)
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 12 large egg whites only, must be at room temp (If any yolk accidentally falls in, remove it! It’s very important not to have even a little yolk mixed in.)
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (must have)
- Important: Do NOT grease the 2-piece angel food cake pan.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Sift cake flour and 2/3 cup sugar into a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until it forms soft peaks. Add the other 2/3 cup sugar slowly, and then beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Beating on LOW, add in flour mixture and both extracts slowly, stopping as soon as batter is incorporated. Do not over-mix. Using rubber spatula, fold in the sides and bottoms of bowl, to fully incorporate.
- Spoon batter into un-greased angel food cake pan. Gently shake to even out batter.
- Bake 30-35 min, or until the top springs back with a gentle touch, and top is golden.
- Invert pan upside down, to cool completely. Run a thin knife around pan sides, and remove bottom from the sides. Gently cut bottom away from pan.
- * Note: I reduced my sugar amounts to 2/3 cups each, as we prefer our angel food cake less sweet. If you prefer it sweeter, increase both sugar levels to 3/4 cups each.