This Blueberry Lemon Bread is full of plump berries and tangy lemons. The luscious lemon glaze seals in moisture throughout the loaf; don’t skip the glaze.
- For the Bread:
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
- Zest of 2 large lemons
- For the Glaze:
- 3 TB freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- 6 TB granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F with rack on lower-middle position. Grease a 9×5″ loaf pan. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk, beat butter, sugar, lemon juice, and eggs on medium speed until incorporated. Add milk and whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, and salt. Add dry mixture to wet mixture and whisk on low speed just until combined; don’t over mix. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in blueberries and lemon zest.
- Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake 60-90 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into bread part (area without berries) in center of bread comes out with a few tender crumbs attached. Bake time will be on the longer side for a glass pan; shorter for dark metal pan.
- Meanwhile, combine glaze ingredients in a small bowl, whisking to combine. Set aside.
- Cool 15-30 minutes in pan. Carefully slide a sharp knife around bread to loosen and gently invert onto serving plate. Generously brush hot bread with glaze; it will slowly soak into bread and provide a thin layer of crisp topping when it sets.
See original article for details about baking with frozen blueberries, if using those.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Category: Breakfast, brunch
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blueberry lemon bread, lemon bread, blueberry bread, quick bread