This Blueberry Lemon French Toast Bake is bursting with fresh berries, zesty lemons, and an incredible blueberry drizzle. This casserole is not overly sweet, so the sweet blueberry drizzle is perfect as a topping.
- For the French Toast:
- 1 large loaf (14–16 oz) hearty French bread, cubed, about 12 cups worth
- 12 oz (1 1/2 blocks) whole cream cheese, softened*
- 5 TB homemade or store bought lemon curd
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- zest of 2 lemons
- For the Sauce:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Place half of the bread cubes evenly in the dish. In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, blend softened cream cheese together with lemon curd on medium high until fully mixed and soft. Spread mixture evenly over the bread cubes. Sprinkle fresh blueberries evenly over the cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining bread cubes evenly.
- In a large bowl, blend together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Slowly and evenly pour egg mixture over entire casserole, ensuring that all bread cubes are soaked. Cover tightly and chill overnight.
- Remove dish from fridge and let sit at room temp while you preheat the oven. Preheat oven to 350F with rack on lower middle position. Loosely cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 30 minutes or until center is firm and top is quite puffy and golden brown. Sprinkle top with lemon zest. Let rest at room temp 15-20 minutes to allow custard to set before serving. Meanwhile, make the sauce.
- Make the Sauce: In a saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, water, and lemon juice. Be sure cornstarch is completely dissolved. Bring to a low boil. Add the blueberries. Continue to stir on low boil until syrup turns thick and a rich purple. Some berries will burst. Drizzle warm sauce over entire French Toast Bake, reserving about half of the sauce for serving at the table.
Blueberry sauce can be made in advance. Gently reheat when ready to drizzle.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Category: breakfast, brunch
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Blueberry Lemon French Toast, Blueberry French Toast, Lemon French Toast, French Toast Casserole