These Cabernet Burgers are perfect for the grill and are juicy and tasty. Anyone who loves Blue Cheese will adore these burgers!
- 1 (750 ml) good-tasting bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 TB olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic, divided in half
- 3 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 6 TB salted butter, room temp, divided
- 2 tsp packed brown sugar
- 2 lbs (80/20) fresh ground beef
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup (6 oz) fresh blue cheese, crumbled (Gorgonzola or Roquefort are great, too)
- 6 squares of Ciabatta sandwich-sized buns, split horizontally
- Freshly sliced tomatoes and lettuce leaves
- Combine wine and shallots in a heavy medium saucepan, and bring to boil. Reduce to a low-medium boil and keep it going for 20-30 minutes, or until sauce is reduced to 2/3 cup worth. Add fresh rosemary, 1 TB butter, and brown sugar. Cook and whisk until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat to cool a bit.
- Saute mushrooms, olive oil, and 2 tsp garlic until mushrooms are just tender. Drain and set aside.
- In small bowl, combine remaining butter with garlic. Melt the butter in microwave, and spread on split Ciabatta buns. Set aside.
- Mix fresh ground beef, salt, pepper, and half of the wine sauce. Form into six even burger patties. Grill burgers until desired doneness, basting generously with remaining wine sauce continually. Sprinkle tops of patties with blue cheese crumbles and keep warm until cheese melts.
- Grill Ciabatta buns with buttered sides down, until nicely toasted. Alternatively, buns can be toasted in oven’s broiler or in toaster oven.
- Arrange burgers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and lettuce on Ciabatta. Enjoy!