This Cheesy Tortellini Casserole is hard to beat, if you’re looking for a quick and easy yet totally scrumptious weeknight meal. Make it meatless, if you like.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (turkey or sausage work well, too)
- 1 package (20 oz) frozen or refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 jar (26 oz) tomato-based pasta sauce
- 1 can (28 oz) plain diced tomatoes, with juices
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 TB onion powder
- 1 TB white sugar
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded (not powder) parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cook ground meat with a pinch of salt and pepper (omit salt if using ground sausage) in a large, heavy pot over medium high heat. Continually stir and break up pieces until browned and cooked through. Drain excess grease, and turn heat to low.
- Add red pasta sauce and diced tomatoes with juices to the pot. Add garlic, oregano, basil, onion powder, and sugar. Stir to incorporate. Remove from heat.
- Spread one-third of the sauce mixture evenly onto the bottom of a 9×11 or similar sized baking dish. Arrange half of the frozen tortellini over the sauce. Sprinkle one-third of both the mozzarella and parmesan over the tortellini. Repeat layers. You should end with the last third of sauce on top, followed by the last third of cheeses.
- Spray a sheet of aluminum foil with oil, and lay the oil-side down loosely over casserole. Bake 40 minutes for frozen tortellini; 30 minutes for refrigerated ones. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes, or until cheese turns bubbly and golden.
- Note: Casserole may be assembled the night before, covered tightly, and stored in fridge. The frozen tortellini will become defrosted, so reduce bake time to 30 minutes in this case.
- Category: main