- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound bulk sausage
- 4 cups (20 oz) plain frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 9 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Heat heavy large skillet over medium heat. Cook sausage and onion, stirring often and breaking up the bulk sausage into small pieces. Cook until sausage is browned throughout. Drain and set aside.
- In a very large bowl, combine potatoes, eggs, Cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, Swiss cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Add cooked sausage mixture. Stir to combine well. Pour entire mixture into prepared baking dish. Can tightly cover and refrigerate overnight, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven 50-60 minutes or until eggs are set and cheese is melted. If casserole sat in fridge all night, it may need to bake a bit longer. Watch and cover with foil if the top starts browning too much in the oven. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.