This Chewy Coconut Macaroons Recipe is deliciously easy and perfect for spring. These coconut macaroons are sure to be an instant hit with all the coconut lovers in your life. They’re gluten-free and need only 5 ingredients.
- 14 oz sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 TB pure vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- Optional: 1/4 cup good quality, melted dark chocolate and kosher salt (or other coarse sea salt)
- Preheat oven to 325F with rack on lower middle position. Line baking sheets with silicone liners or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the coconut flakes, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract. in a medium bowl, add the egg whites and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form (when you gently lift your beaters up, the egg white mixture should form straight, pointy stiff peaks.) Transfer egg mixture into the large bowl with coconut mixture; use rubber spatula to fold together until well combined. Don’t over-mix.
- Form heaping 1-tablespoon size rounds of coconut mixture onto lined baking sheet (spaced 2 inches apart). Bake 12-18 minutes or until tops are golden brown, depending on your oven; be sure to watch carefully with your first batch to test the correct bake time for future batches. Let cookies cool fully on baking sheets before transferring to serving plate.
- If desired, once cookies are fully cooled, drizzle melted dark chocolate over cookies on serving plate and sprinkle lightly/evenly with kosher salt. Cookies keep well in airtight container at moderate room temp.
- Store any leftover sweetened condensed milk in a glass or plastic airtight container in fridge, and use to make your own easy Thai coffee (or simply add a spoonful to any tea/coffee for an instant treat.)
- If you prefer your cookies less sweet, try using unsweetened shredded coconut.
- Try adding 1/2 cup of roasted sliced or chopped almonds or dried cherries to the mix prior to baking.
- For a wonderful almond aroma, substitute half of the vanilla extract with almond extract.
- Try drizzling with salted caramel or melted white chocolate in place of the dark chocolate (or do all 3 for a fun variety of macaroons!)
- For a colorful celebration, toss some happy sprinkles onto the drizzled melted chocolate.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
Keywords: coconut macaroons, coconut cookies, easter cookies