This Chicken Cacciatore showcases a truly rustic Italian favorite. It boasts depth of flavor, tender chicken, and richly balanced broth.
- 12 fresh chicken thighs, skin-on, bone-in
- table salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (make it GF with rice or tapioca flour)
- Olive oil for saute
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and roughly sliced
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 10 fresh garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups dry white wine (melange blanc or fume blanc work nicely)
- 2 (28-oz) cans diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 TB white sugar
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 8 oz baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Thoroughly dry chicken pieces with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine 3 tsp table salt with 1 tsp black pepper. Sprinkle a layer of this salt/pepper mixture evenly over front and back sides of chicken thighs. Place flour in a pan, and dredge chicken pieces to coat lightly on both sides.
- In a large heavy pot, heat 3 TB olive oil over medium high. Once oil is sufficiently hot, place a few pieces of chicken in the pan, taking care not to crowd, and saute until both sides are browned; about 5 min per side. Repeat 1-2 more times for remaining chicken. Add more oil as needed in between batches.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- If needed, add more oil to pan, and saute the bell pepper, carrots, onion, and garlic about 5 minutes. Season with 2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper.
- Add wine to the pot, and bring to simmer. Simmer 3 minutes or until the liquid looks reduced by half. Add tomatoes and juices, chicken broth, sugar, oregano, and mushrooms.
- Return chicken to pot and submerge in the sauce. Simmer over medium low heat about 45 minutes, uncovered.
- Transfer chicken to serving dish. Boil sauce about 3 minutes, spoon off excess fat from the top, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with fresh basil.
- Serve warm with rustic bread and/or pasta.
- Category: main dish