This Chicken and Vegetable Lo Mein is extremely versatile, hugely flavorful, and better than any takeout! Make it meatless and add any of your favorite veggies for your perfect weeknight meal!
- vegetable oil or peanut oil for cooking
- 16 oz fresh Chinese long egg noodles (shaped similarly to spaghetti) OR dried linguine/spaghetti noodles
- 3 TB Asian sesame oil (brown in color, highly fragrant)
- 1 lb uncooked skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 TB oyster sauce, divided
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 3 TB rice cooking wine, divided
- 3 TB regular soy sauce, divided
- table salt
- white pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- half of a Napa cabbage, sliced thin
- 8 oz baby bella, button mushrooms (or 4 oz dried Shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water until fully softened), thinly sliced
- optional: thinly sliced scallions for garnish
- In a large, heavy pot, bring well-salted water to a boil. Cook noodles just until al dente, according to package. Do not overcook. Drain, rinse with cold water in a colander, and toss with 3 TB sesame oil. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine uncooked chicken, 1 TB oyster sauce, sugar, ginger, 1 TB rice cooking wine, 1 TB soy sauce, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp white pepper. Mix well. In a large wok or large frying pan, add 2 TB cooking oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, stir fry the marinated chicken until almost cooked through. Add sliced mushrooms to the chicken. Stir fry until cooked through, but not overcooked. Transfer chicken/mushroom mixture to a plate.
- In same wok/pan, add 2 TB cooking oil on medium-high until hot. Add minced garlic and sliced Napa cabbage, with 1/4 cup water and 1/8 tsp salt. Cover and stir occasionally about 7 minutes or until cabbage is soft and wilted. Transfer to plate with chicken/mushrooms.
- In same wok/pan, add 2 TB cooking oil on medium-high until hot. Add cooked noodles, 2 TB cooking wine, 2 TB soy sauce, and 2 TB oyster sauce. Stir well. Add pinches of salt and white pepper to taste.
- Add back the chicken/mushroom mixture, Napa cabbage, and all their juices to the wok of noodles.
- Stir and cook on medium high until lo mein mixture is fully heated through. Serve warm, with sliced scallions as garnish.