This savory chicken/turkey pot pie is deliciously flavorful, uses all natural ingredients, and is a great way to use up leftover poultry! I gave instructions for cooking fresh chicken, but if you already have cooked poultry sitting around, you can use that instead. Instructions are also for single top crust pie, but feel free to make it a double crust if you prefer.
- 1.5 lb uncooked skinless/boneless chicken thighs or breasts, dried and cubed (leftover cooked chicken or turkey can be used instead)
- 2 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 small potato, washed/dried and diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup salted butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 1 prepared recipe for butter pie crust (*see link below recipe box) OR store-bought deep dish pie crust. I like doing a single top crust, but feel free to make it double-crust, if preferred.
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a large, deep dish pie or cake pan (recipe makes more filling than a regular sized pie pan can hold; it can possibly make 2 regular sized pies)
- In a large heavy pot, add uncooked chicken, frozen veggies, and diced potato. Add all the broth, and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn heat off. Using a large slotted spoon, remove the chicken/veggies from the broth, transferring to a bowl. Set both broth and chicken mixture aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onions with butter until translucent and very soft. Turn heat to low. Stir in the flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to make a thick roux. Add this onion mixture to the pot of broth. Stir in the milk. Bring to a low boil, and continue stirring until liquid becomes thick and smooth.
- Turn heat off. Add the cooked chicken and veggie mixture. Stir to combine thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Place filling mixture into prepared baking dish. Make sure pie crust is rolled out enough to cover the top of baking dish, with a bit extra. Drape top crust over the filling and fold over and seal edges. Using sharp small knife, cut several slits in the top. Brush crust with beaten egg.
- Bake 30-40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Let sit at room temp 10-15 minutes, before serving.
- *Note: If you want to include a bottom crust, prepare enough pie dough for a double crust pie (my linked recipe is for a double crust pie; if you only use 1 crust, you can freeze the 2nd one for later use.) Roll out the bottom crust to be thin, and bigger than the pan. Place bottom crust into bottom of pie pan, wrapping edges over the pan’s edge. Brush well with beaten egg, and poke lots of holes throughout. Bake at 400F, 6-7 minutes. Crust will shrink a little during baking, so wrapping excess dough over pan’s edges will help.
- Category: dinner, main