This Easy, Healthy Chicken Shawarma is waist-friendly and incredibly scrumptious! It’s a hit every time we serve up this flavorful dish. (Bonus: It’s great for Whole30)
- For the Dry Rub:
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- For the Chicken:
- 3 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (don’t use breasts)
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the spices to combine well. Add 2 TB olive oil and mix into a paste. Set aside.
- Thoroughly towel-dry the boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Slice each thigh into quarters, and coat with 1 TB olive oil. Add chicken into the bowl with marinade. Use tongs or clean hands to thoroughly coat all pieces of chicken evenly, on all sides. Cover tightly with cling wrap and chill overnight (at least 3-4 hours.)
- Let chicken come to room temp as you preheat oven to 400F, with rack on upper middle position.
- Place chicken pieces in a single layer on a large, foil-lined baking sheet. Take care not to overlap or overcrowd the pieces. Roast 15 min or until just cooked.
- Let chicken cool enough to handle. Slice all chicken into thin slices. Place back onto the baking sheet in an even layer. Broil on high for 7-10 minutes or until edges are nicely browned. Serve immediately with pita bread, basmati rice, or hummus.