This supremely satisfying Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Coconut Stew will leave everyone full and happy. It’s healthy AND delicious comfort food at its best. It’s also Whole30, Paleo, and Clean.
- For the Spice Mixture:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 TB paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (less if you’re sensitive to spice)
- For the Stew:
- 3 TB coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 8 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes and their juices
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, whole coconut milk from a can (shake well)
- 2 cups regular chicken broth
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, towel-dried and cut into bite size pieces
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Garnishes: chopped cashews, unsweetened coconut flakes (garnishes highly recommended for texture and depth of flavor.)
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients of Spice Mixture together until well incorporated. Set aside.
- In a Dutch Oven or large/heavy pot, add 2 TB coconut oil and heat until hot. Add onions and cook/stir over medium heat until softened, 4 minutes. Add ginger and garlic, continuing to stir another 2 minutes. Add the Spice Mixture that was set aside. Stir well for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes plus their juices and coconut milk. Stir frequently 2-3 minutes. Add broth and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, stirring occasionally; cook until tender, 20 minutes. Taste stew; if needed, add more kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile (while stew is cooking) heat 1 TB coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper. Place chicken in a single layer in saucepan and let brown for 4 minutes on first side. Flip with tongs for 3 minutes of browning on second side. Do this in 2 batches if needed to avoid overcrowding (if crowded, chicken won’t brown.) Add browned chicken to the hot stew; stir to combine.
- Serve stew with garnishes, over rice or just as is.
Keywords: chicken curry stew, chicken sweet potato stew