This Chinese Fried Rice is way better than any takeout. It’s easy to make, you can use any protein you have on hand, and tastes fabulous.
- 3 TB oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 1/2 cups cooked long grain white rice, cooled to room temp (or leftover rice)
- 2 TB Asian sesame oil (brown in color, highly aromatic, found in Asian aisles)
- 1 tsp Maggi seasoning sauce*
- 2 TB regular (not light) soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp table salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp white pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen peas/carrots, defrosted at room temp
- 1 1/2 cups cooked diced ham (Chinese sausage, shrimp, ground meat, or chicken all are good alternatives)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten with 1/8 tsp salt, finely scrambled
- 2 stalks green onion, thinly sliced
- In a large wok, heat oil and saute garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add rice and stir well. Add the sesame oil, Maggi sauce, soy sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp white pepper. Stir seasonings into the rice to coat thoroughly.
- Add the peas/carrots and diced ham. Stir to combine and heat through.
- Add green onions and scrambled eggs. Stir to incorporate and heat through.
- If desired, add a bit more salt and white pepper to taste.
- Serve warm. Store any leftovers in airtight container.