This Chocolate Cognac Bundt Cake is superior in moistness and tastes simply amazing. It’s full of deep chocolatety flavor and infused with the orange essence of Grand Marnier. The alcohol content evaporates during baking so even the kids can enjoy this delicious cake. Perfect for both everyday and special occasions.
- For the Cake:
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed), plus extra for pan dusting
- 1 1/2 cups hot strong coffee (decaf is fine)
- 1/2 cup Grand Marnier or other cognac
- 1 cup salted butter, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- For the Ganache:
- 9 oz semi sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 TB Grand Marnier or other cognac
- 1 tsp orange extract
- Optional Garnishes: powdered sugar or unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F with oven on lower middle position. Butter/grease Bundt pan generously, and dust with about 3 TB cocoa powder to coat, knocking out excess.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, whisk together the hot coffee, cognac, butter, and 1 cup cocoa powder until butter is melted. Remove from heat, add sugar, and whisk until dissolved. Transfer to a large bowl to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and orange extracts into the chocolate mixture and whisk until well combined. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture jut until combined (don’t over mix.) Batter will be thin and bubbly. Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan. Bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few tender crumbs attached. Cool cake completely in the pan. Once completely cool, gently run a thin knife between cake and pan to loosen and turn cake out onto a serving plate. If you can cover the cake and let it sit at room temp overnight, it will taste better tomorrow!
- To make Ganache: In a heavy saucepan over low heat, whisk heavy cream with cognac and orange extract just until hot. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate morsels until melted. Allow ganache to cool enough to a thick drizzle consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake.
- Category: dessert