Have your veggies and eat it too. In the form of chocolate cake! This Chocolate Zucchini Cake is moist, tender, fluffy, and superbly chocolatey. Nobody will guess your secret ingredient.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp instant coffee granules (decaf is fine)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups canola oil
- 3 cups finely grated zucchini, loosely packed
- 1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (mini’s are best, as they melt into the cake well)
- Optional: powdered sugar for dusting or frosting of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350F, with rack on lower middle position. Grease and flour a 9×13 baking pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, coffee granules, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine well.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add oil, zucchini, and mini chocolate chips. Stir to combine well.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold together the flour mixture with the egg mixture. Fold gently just until no more dry streaks of flour remain; do not overmix. Bake 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few tender crumbs attached (be sure to test in a cake-only spot; cracked spots tend to be misleading, since melted chocolate chips sit in those cracks.) Cool cake completely in pan before slicing and serving. If desired, decorate cake with powdered sugar or frosting of your choice.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American