This Chocolate Zucchini Coconut Oil Bread is made healthy with plenty of zucchini and coconut oil instead of butter. It’s decadent, moist, and utterly satisfying for breakfast or dessert.
- 2 cups shredded fresh zucchini (about 2 small zucchini) softly packed, undrained
- 1/2 cup + 2 TB pure coconut oil, measured as liquid
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 TB pure honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup natural, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules (decaf is fine)
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (mini chips melt into the bread best, but you can use regular sized chocolate chips if you don’t mind them not melting completely.)
- Preheat oven to 350F with rack on lower middle position. Lightly grease a 9×5 loaf pan, placed on top of a baking sheet (for ease of transport.) Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the melted coconut oil with brown sugar and whisk to combine well. Add honey, eggs, and orange extract and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together both kinds of flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and instant coffee granules until well combined. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold flour mixture into the coconut oil mixture just until combined. Do not over-mix; it will remain a thick consistency. Gently stir in the shredded zucchini with all its liquid. Stir in chocolate chips. Again, stir just to combine and don’t over-mix.
- Use rubber spatula to scrape batter into the greased loaf pan evenly. Bake 1 hour, or just until a toothpick inserted into the center come out with a few crumbs attached. Cool on wire rack completely before removing from pan.