This Chunky Sausage and Vegetable Pasta Sauce is simple and flavorful. It’s a favorite weeknight meal. Leftover sauce tastes even better the next day!
- 2 lbs ground Italian sausage
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Olive oil
- 2 large sweet bell peppers or ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 jars (24 oz each) your favorite tomato-based pasta sauce
- 1 TB granulated sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a heavy large pot, heat 2 TB olive oil. Brown ground sausage, stirring and breaking up the meat until cooked through. Transfer to separate bowl and set aside.
- In the same large pot, heat 3 TB olive oil. Add garlic and onion, and saute until translucent. Add in bell peppers, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp black pepper. Continue to cook another minute. Add browned sausage back to the pot, and stir to combine.
- Add 2 jars tomato-based pasta sauce, 1 TB sugar, oregano, and basil. Stir to combine well.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes. If needed, add salt and pepper to taste.
- *Note: Pasta sauce keeps well in airtight container in fridge for several days. Sauce alone may also be frozen if sealed airtight.