- For Dry Rub:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 TB smoked paprika
- 1 TB kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 TB garlic powder
- 1 TB onion powder
- For Pork/Sauce:
- 4–5 lbs pork shoulder or butt
- 2 cups root beer
- 3 T liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup easy fresh cranberry sauce
- 2 bottles (18 oz each) Sweet Baby Ray Honey BBQ Sauce or your favorite honey BBQ sauce
- Make dry rub by mixing first 7 ingredients together. This can be made days ahead of time and stored in an airtight container.
- Using paper towels, dry pork. Press dry rub generously onto pork, on all sides. Wrap pork tightly in double foil; set in a rimmed pan and keep overnight in fridge.
- Remove foil from pork and set evenly in slow cooker, along with accumulated juices. Pour in 2 cups cola or root beer and 3 T liquid smoke. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for about 10 hours.
- Remove and roughly shred pork (not too much.) Reserve cooked pork juices into separate bowl and skim off fat. Put shredded pork back into slow cooker. Mix in cranberry sauce and BBQ sauce. Add as much of the reserved pork juices as desired while stirring gently. I use more than half. The meat will soak up a lot of the moisture, so this part is pretty much done by taste and by eye. Once it is to your liking, cook on low another 30 min to 1 hour.