Cuban Braised Pork with Mojo Sauce is a great way to twist up the old pulled pork routine. The Mojo sauce is bright and zesty with citrus. The pork is supremely fork tender. The flavors are spot on amazing.
- For Mojo Sauce:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup plus 2 TB freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TB grated orange peel
- 1 TB dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- For the Pork:
- 5 1/2 lbs boneless country style pork ribs, excess fat trimmed, cut into 2–3 inch pieces
- 2 cans (14 oz each) regular chicken broth
- 1 large whole head of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Prepare the Mojo sauce by placing all sauce ingredients in a blender. Puree until sauce is smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F with rack on lower middle. In an oven proof heavy pot (Dutch oven works well) combine pork, broth, two-thirds of the garlic, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. cover tightly and bake 1.5 hours or until pork is very tender. Use slotted spoon to transfer pork to a bowl. Boil the liquid i pot until it’s reduced to 1.5 cups, about 30 min. Return pork to pot, add 1/4 cup of the mojo sauce, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy large skillet over medium high heat, add oil, onion, and rest of garlic. Saute until onions are tender, 12 min. Season with a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer pork to serving individual plates. Spoon pan juices over pork. Top with onion mixture, and drizzle with remaining Mojo sauce.
- Category: dinner, main