This Cuban Rice and Beans Recipe is chock full of delicious flavors! It’s tender, savory, and goes well with any meal. This dish can be prepared in its entirety the night before. Simply reheat in the microwaves with a sprinkle of water and serve!
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp table salt
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 (15.5 oz each) cans black beans, with liquid
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 TB red wine vinegar
- Optional garnish: chopped cilantro or sliced green onions
- Place garlic clove on a cutting board and sprinkle with table salt. Let sit for 3 minutes and mince into a paste with knife. Set aside.
- Place bacon and olive oil in a large heavy pot. Constantly stir over medium high heat until bacon renders fat and turns golden brown, about 6 min. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic paste into the bacon and stir until vegetables are translucent, about 5 min. Add the chicken bouillon powder, the bay leaf, cumin, oregano, and rice. Stir for 1 minute until well mixed and all the rice is coated in oil.
- Add the beans with their liquid, the water, and vinegar. Mix to combine. Cover and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce to a simmer, and simmer covered for 45 minutes. Do not peek. Keeping pot covered, let it rest off heat another 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and serve. Garnish with chopped cilantro or green onions if desired.
If desired, see original article for ingredient substitutions, meal options, and ways to serve.
If preparing the rice in its entirety the night before, just sprinkle about 1/4 cup water over rice, cover, and microwaves to reheat.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
Keywords: Cuban rice and beans recipe