Dairy-free and egg-free, this delicious ice cream is surprisingly rich and indulgent. Use whatever add-ins you like in this dairy-free ice cream; a fantastic base recipe that’s super easy!
- 1 can (13.5 oz) whole coconut milk (usually in ethnic aisles of grocery stores)
- 1 cup original or vanilla almond milk*
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (gluten-free thickener)
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- Optional Add-Ins: 1/2 cup diced strawberries or other fruit, chocolate chips, sprinkles, etc.
- In a blender, add all ingredients and blend on high until thick and creamy, 1-2 min. Transfer mixture to an airtight container and chill 2-4 hours.
- Place chilled mixture into an ice-cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions (might only need half the amount of suggested churn time, as it thickens pretty quickly.) If using add-ins, gently add them during last 5 minutes of churning.
- May serve immediately for a frozen custard-like texture that’s ultra creamy, smooth, and soft. Otherwise, transfer ice cream to an airtight container and freeze 30-60 minutes for a firmer texture. If frozen much longer, it will need thaw time at room temp before serving (actual thaw time depends on your room temp.)
I recommend Dream Ultimate Almond Milk, if possible, as it has a creamier consistency than other brands and turns out better.
Look for certified vegan xantham gum, which is dairy-free.
This ice cream is best enjoyed shortly after churning; it’s soft and velvety right out of the ice cream maker and can be served immediately. If preferred, 30 minutes in the freezer will firm ice cream up a bit. If freezing longer, please allow ice cream to soften a bit at room temp before serving.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating. ♡
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Category: dessert
- Method: churning
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy free ice cream, vegan ice cream, almond milk ice cream, coconut milk ice cream