Recently, my nature walks have revealed many families checking off “Christmas photo shoot” on their to-do lists. Some have been all done with it for weeks by now. Others haven’t even started thinking about it and will scramble to gather a quick snapshot the week of Christmas. Possibly with a shiny remote selfie stick.
Our family lies somewhere in between. There are years in the past when, due to utter fear of the dreadful Minnesotan winter, I morphed into an over-achieving mama who rushed everyone out to get our photos done the minute autumn leaves started falling. Because who can smile a real smile when it’s 10F degrees outside?
But after 9 years here, I’ve grown tougher. And also kind of lazy. Some years we caved and did our family photos indoors. Last year, I went the green digital route and printed nothing.
This year, I started thinking that maybe we will just skip the whole thing altogether and nobody will notice.
Because, let’s be honest. Getting a family of five — 3 of whom are active boys — to accomplish a photo shoot with matchy matchy clothes is a little bit nightmarish.
Like, I’d sooooo rather face plant into this apple crisp…
This Easy Apple Crisp is Everything:
I mean, who wouldn’t rather be sinking teeth into a warm, inviting Easy Apple Crisp?
This Easy Apple Crisp has got it all. Everything you’ve ever wanted in an apple crisp is in this little darling:
- tender, juicy soft apples (nothing mushy nor dry)
- plenty of cinnamon and spices (we’re not shy)
- crispy, thick topping that’s ultra crunchy (you can hear it)
- buttery, appley aroma that fills your entire home (and belly)
In case you’re wondering (though I’m certain you’re not) we did decide to do formal photo shoot soon. But only because my dear friend is hosting a photo fundraiser. She’s a really good friend and it’s for a really great cause.
So yeah, I’ll woman up and handle the crazy once again.
But I’m totally devouring apple crisp afterwards.
You might love this, too:
Easy Apple Crisp
Apple Crisps are a classic, yet they’re often dry or mushy with less than stellar topping. This Easy Apple Crisp is tender, juicy, yet holds its form. You’ll love the ultra crispy topping.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 6-8 1x
- For the Topping:
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, diced and cold
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans
- For the Filling:
- 2 1/2 lbs firm apples (I use a mixture of Granny Smith and Honeycrisp) sliced into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- Zest + Juice of 1 large lemon (a little under 1/4 cup juice)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Optional: vanilla ice cream
- Butter a 8×8 baking dish. Preheat oven to 350F with rack on middle position.
- In a bowl, combine all topping ingredients except butter. Stir to combine well. Using a pastry cutter, cut cold butter into the ingredients until mixture is crumbly, resembling wet sand with little clumps of butter still intact. (If your fingers are cool, it’s easier to mix with clean hands.) Cover and chill while you prepare the filling.
- In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients and toss to incorporate. Pour into buttered baking dish. Scatter cold topping evenly over the apples.
- Place baking dish on a large baking sheet. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, check the topping, and cover loosely with foil if it’s already browning. Continue baking another 15 minutes, or just until topping is nicely browned and edges are bubbling. Let cool at least 1-2 hours or until lukewarm to allow filling to thicken.
- Category: dessert
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram