In This Article
- Why You’ll Love Vegan Lentil Soup
- What Are Lentils?
- What Types of Lentils Are Best for Lentil Soup?
- Health Benefits of Lentils: Are Lentils Good For You?
- How to Make the Best Lentil Soup Recipe
- Vegan Lentil Soup Common Questions
- Also Try Easy Roasted Vegetables
- More to Cook and Eat
- Shop This Recipe
- Best Lentil Soup (Vegan) Recipe
- Did you make this?
Why You’ll Love Vegan Lentil Soup
- Cooked on the stovetop, it comes together in a single pot and is ready in about an hour.
- The pantry ingredients are simple, basic ingredients you either have in your pantry or are easy to find.
- If you’re lucky enough to have any, leftovers keep well and are quick to reheat throughout the week.
- Bursting with fresh produce and flavor, it’s a nutritious vegan dish that even meat eaters will adore.
- One batch serves 8-10 people for the perfect budget-friendly option to serve at holiday gatherings, pitch-ins, potlucks, and more.
What Are Lentils?
If you’re unfamiliar, lentils are a type of legume grown all over the world and used in a wide variety of recipes like lentil soup, lentil hummus, and even lentil chili. Similar to beans, they are budget-friendly, sold either dried or canned, are high in plant-based protein and fiber, and come in many different shapes, sizes, and colors. The four most common types of lentils are brown, green, red or yellow, and specialty lentils. Each type is fairly similar in taste and texture, but they all have slight differences which you can read more about here.
What Types of Lentils Are Best for Lentil Soup?
When it comes to vegan lentil soup, the best type of lentil to use is any dried variety. For this recipe, we use brown lentils, but green, red, or yellow lentils also work well. Just note that the color of your soup will change slightly depending on what you choose. The only type of lentil we do not recommend using is Puy lentils (also known as black French lentils) because they do not cook down and soften like other varieties.
Health Benefits of Lentils: Are Lentils Good For You?
If you’re wondering if lentil soup is good for you, the answer is a wholehearted yes! Not only is this recipe packed full of veggies, but lentils are nutritional powerhouses all by themselves. As mentioned, they’re a great source of plant-based protein and fiber. However, according to Harvard, lentils are also rich in folate, iron, potassium, and manganese. In addition, they contain slow-digesting resistant starch and are low in sodium and saturated fat. As a result, including them as part of a healthy diet may help improve digestion, cholesterol, and blood sugar levels. Plus, they taste great, too!
How to Make the Best Lentil Soup Recipe
If you’ve ever been too intimidated to try to cook lentil soup, this recipe is about to change that mindset! Unbelievably easy, it’s guaranteed to become part of your regular dinner rotation.
- Sauté. Cook the garlic, carrots, and celery in a large Dutch oven until they’re soft and fragrant. Then, add the seasonings, and stir.
- Boil and Simmer. Stir in the tomatoes. Then, add the lentils and broth, and bring the ingredients to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and let the vegan lentil soup cook until the lentils are tender.
- Add the Remaining Ingredients. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, and adjust the seasonings to taste. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese or any additional garnishes on top, and serve warm.
Vegan Lentil Soup
That’s up to you! We don’t blend this recipe, but if you prefer a smooth consistency, feel free to use an immersion blender or regular blender to create a smooth purée.
Once fully cooled, this lentil soup can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
The best lentil soup for meal prep, this recipe can be made in advance and kept in a freezer-safe container for up to 4 months.
Also Try Easy Roasted Vegetables
More to Cook and Eat
- Chickpea Curry with Potatoes – Full of flavor and ready in about 30 minutes, this is our go-to dish for weeknights when you need something filling in a pinch.
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup Recipe – Skinny, rich, and chock full of nutrients, this is the best tomato soup you’ll ever taste.
- Minestrone Soup – We adore the hearty flavors of this classic Italian comfort food.
- Curry Butternut Squash Soup – Sweet and savory, this is the best soup we’ve ever had the privilege of dipping our spoon into.
- Pasta E Fagioli – Even better than Olive Garden, this recipe comes together with ease from the comfort of your own home.
Best Lentil Soup (Vegan)
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 whole carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 ½ tsp cumin, ground
- 28 oz fire-roasted tomatoes, with juices
- 2 cups lentils, dry*
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups kale leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- freshly shaved Parmesan for garnish, optional
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onions, stirring for 1 minute. Add the garlic, carrots, and celery for 2-3 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently.
- Add the fire-roasted tomatoes along with all the juices, and stir until well combined. Add the lentils and broth, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer 1 hour or until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the kale leaves and fresh lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve warm.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram