Easy One-Bowl Apple Cake comes together in a pinch. All natural, nothing artificial, and tastes incredible. Luscious Cream Cheese Frosting is optional (it’s vegan without.) This cake is a keeper you’ll want all year round.
- For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour*
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 4 1/2 cups apples, peeled and chopped (I use Fuji or Honeycrisp)
- Optional Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened to room temp
- 16 oz regular cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 lb powder sugar
- 1–2 TB milk, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350F, with rack on lower middle position. Grease a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, applesauce, vanilla, and eggs. Using a hand whisk, mix until well combined and smooth. Add the sugar and whisk until combined.
- Gently add remaining ingredients and stir with wooden spatula (it’s a thick batter) until just combined and no flour streaks remain. Do not over-mix. Use rubber spatula to gently fold in apples. Scrape batter evenly into your prepared baking dish, ensuring batter spreads evenly into the corners. Bake 35-45 min or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with few tender crumbs attached. Let cool to room temp.
- Meanwhile, make Cream Cheese Frosting (if using.) In a bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, and vanilla, beating until smooth. Add powder sugar and gently mix in until incorporated. Add a bit of milk as needed to reach desired consistency. Transfer to a Ziploc baggie, press air out, and seal. Snip off a bit of the corner and drizzle onto cooled apple cake.
*I use white whole wheat flour, which is milder than typical whole wheat. You can use half whole wheat + half white flour, or use entirely all-purpose flour.
- Category: dessert, breakfast