This recipe is quick and easy for weeknights, making use of a store bought cornbread mix. However, feel free to make your own cornbread batter for a totally homemade dinner! See below for the link to my popular/moist homemade cornbread.
- 2 TB oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2–3 TB chili powder
- kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 1 (15oz) box of your favorite cornbread mix, plus ingredients listed on package (or 1 homemade recipe for similar amount of cornbread batter)
- Optional garnishes: Fresh Tomato Salsa, sour cream, sliced green onion, shredded cheese
- Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 450F.
- In a 12 inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat, warm up the oil until hot. Add onion, chili powder, and 1/2 tsp salt and cook just until onion is soft. Stir in garlic and cook 30 more seconds.
- Stir in ground beef, drained beans, and drained tomatoes. Cook and break up the meat with a spatula until fully browned, about 5 min. Off heat, stir in cheese. Season with kosher salt to taste. Add more chili powder if desired. Smooth beef mixture into an even layer in the skillet.
- According to package instructions, mix the cornbread batter. Spread cornbread batter evenly on top of the beef mixture in skillet.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 15-20 min. Check center of cornbread for doneness. If needed, cover loosely with foil and bake another 5 minutes or until center is cooked through. Let cool at room temperature 10 minutes before serving. Garnish as desired.
If you don’t have an oven-proof 12-inch skillet, you can layer casserole into an oven-safe baking dish instead.
Because brands of boxed cornbread mixes vary, adjust bake time as needed for center to bake through.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican American
Keywords: Tamale Pie, Tamale Casserole, Tamale Bake