This Festive Wild Rice Stuffing is easy and absolutely delicious! Buttery and loaded with flavor, this wild rice stuffing is destined to become a holiday favorite.
- 2 TB olive oiil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 TB butter
- 8–10 oz fresh baby bella mushrooms, sliced (other variety of mushrooms are fine)
- 3 TB freshly chopped thyme
- 1/2 lb bulk sausage, any flavor
- 3 tsp freshly chopped sage
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups wild rice blend (i.e., Lundberg)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup freshly chopped parsley
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large heavy pot, heat oil until hot. Add onion and stir until caramelized, 15 minutes. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Add butter and stir to melt. Add mushrooms and half of the thyme. Stir until mushrooms are browned, 5 minutes. Add pinches of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- In the now-empty pot, add sausage and stir over medium heat until browned and cooked through. Add mushroom mixture back into the pot and stir to combine well with cooked sausage. Turn heat off and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, add broth, remaining thyme, and sage. Bring to a boil. Add the wild rice blend and bring back to boil. Once boiling, immediately reduce to simmer; cover and simmer 50 minutes. Do not remove lid. With lid still on, turn heat off and let rice sit for 10 more minutes.
- Gently stir in the sausage/mushroom mixture, dried cranberries, and most of the parsley (reserve a bit for garnish) to combine with rice. Cover and simmer 5 more minutes, stirring a few times. Season with additional kosher salt and pepper if needed. Sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve.
This dish can be made entirely the night before and kept covered in fridge. Give it a stir and reheat when ready to serve. Save a bit of parsley to sprinkle on top just before serving.
If you enjoyed this dish, please come back and give it a rating. We’d love to hear from you!
- Category: side