These luscious pumpkin pancakes are tender, soft, moist, and rustic with pumpkin and spices.
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 TB vinegar
- 1 cup 100% pure pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 2 TB olive oil
- 6 TB brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp dry flax meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 1/2 TB cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- chopped pecans or walnuts for garnish
- pure maple syrup for serving
- Combine milk with vinegar and let sit at room temp for at least 10 minutes or while you make the batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together: both flours, flax, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Whisk together to fully incorporate.
- In another large bowl, whisk together: pumpkin puree, egg, brown sugar, and olive oil until well combined and smooth. Add the milk/vinegar and stir until well incorporated.
- Fold together the wet and dry ingredients until incorporated, but do not overmix. A bit of lumpiness is good. Batter will be thick.
- Heat well-greased frying pan or griddle on medium high heat. When pan is medium-hot, pour about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of batter per pancake, taking care not to overcrowd. Immediately smooth top out a bit, if needed, right after pouring onto pan.
- Once first side is golden brown, flip it over with a very large spatula. It helps to keep pan greased and not let it get overly hot, or cakes will brown too quickly.
- Serve warm with nuts and maple syrup.
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch