This Fresh Peach Pie with Flaky Butter Crust is a standout recipe that’s supremely peachy. Everyone loves a great crust, and this one’s all butter – no trans fats or artificial ingredients.
- For the dough (double crust):
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 1/2 cup very cold ice water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- For the Filling:
- 5 1/2 cups semi-ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
- 3 lime wedges
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 2 TB salted butter
- Other: coarse sugar for top of crust
- Prepare the dough (make ahead): In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, just until there remains small pea-sized butter chunks in the dough. Gently stir in 1 TB of ice cold water at a time, until mixture starts to hold together. It should be pliable enough to stick together when pinched, but not sticky. Work the dough sparingly, using either pastry cutter or cold fingers. The key is not to overwork the dough (avoid using food processor.) The little chunks of butter should still be visible.
- Gently form 2 dough balls (1 slightly larger than the other) and wrap well in plastic. Refrigerate at least 1 hour (up to overnight.)
- Make the Pie: Preheat oven to 450F with rack on second-to-lowest position. Place a large cookie sheet on the rack to heat up.
- Roll the larger dough ball out to fit bottom/sides of 9-inch pie pan, with bit extra for edges. If dough is firm, you may need to roll it out twice. Place crust in bottom of pie pan. Press evenly into the bottom and up sides of the pan. Press down the edges. Brush bottom crust with some of the beaten egg. Roll the smaller dough ball to fit over top of 9-inch pie pan and set it aside.
- In a colander, add sliced peaches and sprinkle with lime juice. Toss gently and let juices drain out. In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Pour mixture over peaches, tossing to coat. Spread peach filling into the pie crust. Dot evenly with butter. Cover with the top pie crust, folding edges under and fluting to seal (or use fork to press down.) Cut about 8 slits on top crust. Brush rest of beaten egg over the top. Sprinkle with desired amount of coarse sugar.
- Carefully remove the heated cookie sheet from oven. Place pie on sheet and return to rack. Bake 10 minutes at 450F and then reduce to 350F. Bake 30-35 minutes or just until top is golden brown and filling is bubbling (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly.)
- Cool completely at room temp to allow pie filling to set (very important.) Serve chilled or at room temp. Reheat if you want to serve warm.
Keywords: Peach Pie