This Fresh Strawberry Crumb Cake is perfect for both breakfast and dessert. Have it with coffee in the morning, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the evening.
- For Strawberry Sauce:
- 2 cups fresh, ripe strawberries, sliced
- 2 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1 TB water
- 3 TB granulated sugar
- For Custard Layer:
- 1 brick (8 oz) regular cream cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- For Cake:
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cold salted butter, sliced
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream (low-fat or fat free are fine)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Optional: Extra strawberries, stabilized whipped cream, vanilla bean ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350°with rack on lower middle position. Grease a 9-in. springform pan and set aside.
- For the Strawberry Sauce: In a saucepan, add dissolved cornstarch, sugar, and strawberries. Stir to combine well and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Immediately reduce to a simmer; stir frequently and simmer uncovered 6-8 minutes or just until thickened to a jam-like consistency.
- For the Filling: In a bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar on medium speed until smooth. Beat in egg until mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until pea-sized lumps remain; mixture will be dry and crumbly. Reserve 3/4 cup for topping. To the remaining mixture, add baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, gently whisk together the egg, sour cream and vanilla until combined; fold/stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture (will still be lumpy, which is ok.)
- Spread cake batter evenly into bottom of greased springform pan. Spread custard layer over crust, leaving a 1/2-in. border around edge of pan. Spoon strawberry sauce evenly over the top. Sprinkle with reserved 3/4 cup of crumb mixture on top.
- Place springform pan on a large baking sheet. Bake 50-60 minutes or until edges are golden and cake is puffed up. Cool completely before loosening sides of cake from pan (use a thin, sharp knife to do so.) Remove springform sides and place cake on desired platter. Serve at room temp or chilled.
Cake can be made ahead of time, covered airtight, and chilled until ready to serve.
Keywords: Strawberry Cake, Fresh Strawberry Cake, Strawberry Crumb Cake