General Tso’s BBQ Grilled Chicken is a delightfully flavorful way to change up your usual BBQ grilled chicken. This Asian style BBQ sauce is amazingly flavorful and super easy. Tender, tasty grilled chicken is about to be yours.
- For the Chicken:
- 4 to 4.5lbs chicken legs
- 8 TB Tamari soy sauce*
- 4 TB olive oil
- For Basting Sauce:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 TB light corn syrup
- 2 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Use paper towels to thoroughly dry excess moisture from chicken pieces. Use a fork to poke holes throughout all chicken pieces. Place chicken in a large Ziplock bag and add Tamari soy sauce and olive oil. Seal bag well and ensure chicken pieces are well coated with mixture. Chill for overnight, or up to 2 nights.
- Meanwhile, make the Basting Sauce: Combine all marinade ingredients (not cilantro) and whisk to incorporate. Separate marinade in half (half is for basting, rest is for serving.) Can be made ahead of time and covered/chilled until ready to grill.
- When ready to grill, place bag of chicken at room temp while you prepare the grill. Grill chicken uncovered, rotating, and basting with half of the Basting Sauce, until thickest portion registers 165F.
- Once all chicken is cooked, pour reserved Sauce over grilled chicken, coating all the pieces. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
*Tamari soy sauce is a lower sodium, gluten-free soy sauce that has better flavor than normal soy sauce, as it’s 100% made from soy beans with no added ingredients. However, if you cannot find Tamari, you can use lower sodium soy sauce.