These Hawaiian Grilled Steak Tacos are hugely flavorful and an instant hit. The marinaded steak is tender and succulent. This pineapple salsa makes you feel like you’re in Maui.
For the Marinated Steaks:
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 piece (about 1-inch) fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- ½ cup regular strength soy sauce
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 5 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1 TB Asian sesame oil
- table salt
- 4 boneless New York steaks, about 1 inch thick
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 20 oz diced or crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- 2 tsp pure honey
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly chopped cilantro for garnish, lime slices for garnish, and soft corn tortillas
- Marinade the Steaks (do ahead): In a large bowl, whisk together the onion, garlic, ginger, pineapple juice, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and Asian sesame oil. Whisk until sugar is dissolved and marinade is well incorporated. Marinade can be prepared up to 24 hours ahead of time.
- Use paper towels to thoroughly pat-dry the steaks. Use a fork to pierce steaks throughout. Lightly sprinkle on both sides with table salt. Toss steaks in bowl of marinade to coat well. Cover and chill several hours or overnight. Be sure to turn pieces over halfway through, if all pieces aren’t completely immersed in marinade.
- Make the Hawaiian Salsa (do ahead): Combine all salsa ingredients in a bowl, toss well, and let chill until ready to use.
- To Serve: Grease and heat outdoor grill (or indoor grill pan) to medium-high. Remove steaks from marinade and grill (basting with marinade as desired) taking care not to over-cook, until medium-rare. For me, it’s about 2 to 3 min/side, but cook time largely depends on your grill heat and thickness of your steaks. Discard any remaining marinade. Let cooked steaks rest at room temp 5 minutes, then slice thinly.
- Serve with salsa with soft corn tortillas, garnishing as desired.
This recipe makes a wonderful steak all by itself, too. You can serve the flavorful steaks alongside rice, potatoes, or with salad.
Flank steaks can be used, if preferred.
If needed, check that soy sauce is gluten-free – tamari soy sauce certified GF.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Category: main, beef
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: Hawaiian Amercian
Keywords: Grilled Steak Tacos, Marinated Steak, Beef Tacos