Packed with flavor and nutrients, these Healthy Mussels with Garlic and Tomatoes are the perfect appetizer or light dinner for your summer.
- 20–25 large fresh mussels, cleaned and towel-tried
- 3 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz) fire-roasted tomatoes, with juices
- 1/2 cup good quality dry white wine (use one you’d like to drink)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil or parsley, for garnish
- Be sure mussels are de-bearded, cleaned, and towel-dried to remove as much excess water as possible. Set aside.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Once oil is hot, add onion and stir/cook until soft. Add garlic and stir 1 minute, until fragrant. Add can of tomatoes with juices and wine, stirring well to combine and heat through, 1-2 min. Add kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Add mussels in a single layer in pan, cover with lid, and lower heat to simmer. Simmer just until all mussels are opened. Remove from heat and discard any mussels that haven’t opened.
- Serve warm, with chopped herb of your choice for garnish.
The broth is delicious when soaked up with your choice of rustic bread! Feel free to sprinkle on freshly grated parmesan cheese, if desired for extra yum.
- Category: appetizer, main