Nothing else beats a cozy, warm, and comforting bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup. Save those chicken and turkey bones to make the best broth in the world. No other broth comes close.
For the broth:
- 1 TB olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and coined
- 4 stalks celery, washed and sliced thin
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 roasted turkey/chicken carcass, with leftover meat attached
For the noodle soup:
- Leftover cooked turkey or chicken meat, shredded
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and coined
- 5–6 stalks celery, washed and sliced thin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- noodles of your choice
- table salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- For the Broth: Put olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in a very large stock pot. Saute on medium high until vegetables are soft. Add turkey/chicken carcass, bay leaves, and peppercorns. Add enough water to just cover entire carcass. (Broth will be reduced down to half. If you are using a chicken and want more broth, just add more water to begin with, knowing you’ll end up with half that amount.)
- Bring stock pot to boil. Turn heat to low, and simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced to half its original amount (approx. 2-3 hours, or however long it takes to reduce to half) Once liquid is reduced to half, set aside carcass and skim oil or impurities off top of broth. Strain the broth into the pot you want to use for the noodle soup.
- For the Noodle Soup: Season strained broth with salt and pepper to taste. Add carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. Bring to boil. Cook until veggies are very tender. Meanwhile, cook noodles in well-salted water in separate pot. Drain noodles (do not rinse), and add to broth.
- Add all leftover shredded meat, including meat collected from the carcass.If needed, season with more salt/pepper to taste. Enjoy!
This recipe is one of approximates, so the amounts given are flexible. Just don’t skimp on simmer time.
This recipe is written for utilizing leftover roasted chicken or turkey. If you want to make chicken noodle soup with an uncooked chicken, just make the broth with the whole chicken instead of the carcass only. Remove giblets first. When the chicken meat is cooked through, remove the chicken and separate the meat from the carcass. Return the carcass to the broth and finish simmering. Shred the meat and continue with recipe.
- Category: Main Dish, Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Homemade chicken noodle soup, chicken broth