Homemade spaghetti sauce boasts fresh flavors that can’t be beat. Make extra sauce to freeze for easy meal prepping. This sauce is wonderful over any type of pasta you like.
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with juices
- 3 TB tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves, torn to small pieces (about 1/2 cup loosely packed)
- 1–2 TB fresh oregano leaves, depending on taste
- 1/3 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- Optional Garnishes: freshly chopped parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, freshly torn basil, parmesan cheese for topping
- In a Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat olive oil on medium-high until smoking. Add onion and garlic, stirring 1 minute until aromatic. Add ground beef, kosher salt (not table salt,) and black pepper. Stir, breaking ground beef up into small pieces, until just cooked through.
- Add tomatoes with juices, tomato paste, beef broth, basil, and oregano. Stir to combine well. Once sauce starts to boil, reduce to a simmer. Cover and continue to simmer 15 minutes.
- Add parmesan, stirring to incorporate. Season with additional salt/pepper if desired. Serve warm over spaghetti noodles or other pasta. Garnish as desired (we love extra parmesan and basil on top!)
You can also use ground turkey or ground pork sausage (no casing) in place of ground beef. If using seasoned sausage, omit salt/pepper during browning.
Feel free to use chicken broth or vegetable broth in place of beef broth.
If you have homegrown, vine-ripened tomatoes, feel free to use peeled/seeded and freshly crushed tomatoes; keep the juices to include in the sauce. Store bought tomatoes are often picked when unripe, and are not recommended
If you need to use dry herbs, substitute with 1 TB dry basil and 1 tsp dried oregano, or adjust amount to your taste. Be sure to use freshly purchased dry herbs, as they tend to lose flavor quickly in the pantry.
Sauce itself (without pasta) can be frozen in airtight container for several weeks.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Homemade Spaghetti Sauce, Spaghetti Sauce from Scratch, Spaghetti Sauce Recipe