This is a homestyle Honey Baked Ham, rich with savory sweetness of ham mixed with honey. The sauce is more of an au jus, rather than a gravy. See notes if you want a thick sauce. Spoon plenty of it over the slices of ham, and watch it disappear! Great for holidays.
- Fully cooked, spiral-sliced ham (4-5 lbs)
- 1 cup good apple cider
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup whole grain mustard (prepared mustard jar with whole mustard seeds)
- 1/4 cup honey
- Heat oven to 350F with rack on lower position.
- Mix together apple cider, brown sugar, mustard, and honey in a bowl. Mix well to fully incorporate basting sauce.
- Place ham in a 13×9 baking dish. Coat ham with a generous amount of sauce. Bake for 60-70 minutes, basting thoroughly every 15 minutes.
- To serve pre-cut slices, arrange slices neatly on a serving dish and brush leftover sauce all over ham slices and serve. If serving ham whole, be sure to have leftover sauce available for drizzling. The sauce is what makes this ham so great!
This sauce is more of a saucy au jus consistency, rather than a thicker gravy texture. If you prefer your sauce thicker, simply thicken it by bringing leftover sauce to a low boil. Dissolve a bit of cornstarch (start with 1-2 tsp) in a little bit of water (about 1-2 tsp) and add dissolved cornstarch to the boiling sauce. Add more dissolved cornstarch as needed. Stir constantly until sauce is thickened to your liking. (Never add undissolved cornstarch directly to any boiling sauce, or it will become clumpy.) This ham is amazing with Cheesy Scalloped Potatoesor Garlic-Butter Potatoes!
Keywords: honey baked ham, easy honey ham