Once you make this tender, delicious Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa at home, it’ll become a family favorite. It’s perfect for meal prep and freezer meals, too.
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup full flavored beef broth
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- Half of a sweet onion, minced
- 4 chipotle peppers from a can, seeds removed, minced
- 2 TB adobo sauce from same can as chipotle peppers
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 3 bay leaves
For the Beef:
- 4 lb chuck roast, trimmed
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 TB olive oil
- Make Sauce (can be made up to 2 days ahead): In a bowl, combine all sauce ingredients. Stir to incorporate well. If making ahead of time, keep chilled in airtight container until ready to use.
- Slice beef into 2″ x 2″ chunks. Sprinkle kosher salt and pepper evenly onto all sides of beef pieces. Set Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add olive oil; once oil is heated, add sear beef pieces in 2 batches to avoid overcrowding. Once all sides of beef pieces are nicely browned, place all the beef into the bowl of Instant Pot.
- Pour your prepared sauce evenly over the beef. Stir to combine. Cover tightly and set pressure cooker for 1 hour. Use Instant Release method to release pressure when beef is done. Gently shred the beef with forks or tongs, allowing shredded beef to soak up the juices afterwards.
- Serve beef barbacoa over rice, tortillas, salad, or tortilla chips.
Leftovers can be kept in airtight containers in fridge. Perfect for meal prep or freezer meals!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Category: main, beef
- Method: pressure cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican style
Keywords: instant pot beef barbacoa, mexican shredded beef